Friday, January 22, 2016

My Walk Through Life 1/22/2016



                                                     Blizzard 2009 Broadway VA

All my friends out East are gearing up for a blizzard. They have been posting photos of the empty bread shelves. I worked at Walmart, so have seen this first hand. Once the word "snow" hits the media, there is a run on bread, milk, and bottled water. Oh, and beer. One of my friends mentioned toilet paper. Don't forget the toilet paper. That started me remembering life in the Azores. No, we had no snow there, but supplies could be limited sometimes. Crates fell off the ships occasionally. The commissary ran out of dry cat food for awhile due to that.
   We were there for the start of Desert Shield. We quickly discovered that war supplies were much more important than our comforts. Our supplies were being left in New Jersey while boats and planes were filled with war items. The first thing to go was soda. We had no soda on the base and the surrounding towns ran out quick. Americans can't seem to do without soda. I was getting care packages from home with peanut butter, macaroni, and other foods that kids like to eat. And that was only when they decided to send our mail. It was being left in New Jersey also.
   Dairy products were always an issue, war or not. They were flown in from Germany and there was a limit on how much milk and cheese you could buy at a time. We actually had a phone tree that would call when the dairy plane came in. One time, during the war, no toilet paper came in. The phone tree was used that day to see who had rolls to spare. Short lived tragedy, thankfully.



It is the start of the Mercury Retrograde. I had to look it up because I didn't really understand. I guess it when Earth catches up with Mercury, and so it makes Mercury look like it is moving backwards. According to the scientist on the news today, anything bad that happens is blamed on this retrograde. So, use it as an excuse if you are late for work, fight with a friend, etc. Here is the link to what I was watching this morning. I wish I had this guy for a teacher. I might love science if I did.
CBS News

What I Learned from Swagbucks

A new Ice Age movie is coming out in 2016. I love Ice Age!!
Trailer

You can Learn and EARN at Swagbucks

FREEBIES

I am digging for freebies today but they seem to be limited.

Here is one for a free coupon for OxyBump nasal spray, available at Target.
Free

Free 7 count box of Truvia Sweetener
Free


Sweepstakes

Enter to win 50 books good for 7 and 8 year olds. Great contest from Brightly
Win

Win tea and coffee from Krup if you like their Facebook page
Win

Here is an instant win game from Bath and Body Works
Win


No comments:

Post a Comment