Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Walk Through Life 1/21/2016

Get 10% off Pre-Packed Party Favors at OldTimeCandy.com. Use code: 24165


I feel kind of guilty adding ads, but I am trying to be picky and put things I might be interested in.

*********************************************************************************

I am not a great cook, and the easier, the better. When it is cheap to buy the ingredients, that is good also. Then of course, I look for coupons on coupons.com, check Ibotta, Snap, and Checkout 51 for rebates. I threw this together last night. I did only half the recipe, however, since I don't feed many people. Boil 2 cups of macaroni (I used rotini because that is what I had), Put a 24 oz of spaghetti sauce and the cooked macaroni in a frying pan. Add 1 cup Mozzarella and 1/4 c Parmesan, and 1 12 1/2 oz can chunk chicken, drained. Heat and serve.
  This is great for busy moms. Serve with a vegetable and garlic bread.

Unplug

Here is another Valentine idea. Cut out hearts and write on them "You're Just Write For Me". Cut two slits large enough to slip in a fun pencil.


What I Learned on Facebook

There have been many studies about dark chocolate having health benefits.I don't like dark chocolate. A study has shown that milk chocolate also has some benefits. Yay!! Ok, not good if you are trying to lose weight.
Consumers report


WIN IT

Win a trip to Hawaii or other prizes. You need to have a code from CheeseHead string cheese to win the trip but without a code you can enter for the other prizes.
Win

Win a Nikon Coolpix. You need to be a receiver of this newsletter to be entered. I like the newsletter because I get the gift basket sweepstake information.
Win

Enter to win Olio Carli Olive Oil Gift Box
Win

Win free Baileys Coffee Creamer
Win

Win Stonefire Flatbread
Win



For Free

Free cat food sample from Fancy Feast
Free

Free Luseta shampoo sample. You need to sign up for the newsletter but you can unsubscribe at any time.
Free



WristWatch.com


                                               Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond Virginia

Free Genealogist Sites
I wish I could travel the paths of my ancestors but I am not wealthy. My research is mostly done from the comfort of my sofa, with laptop on my lap. I pay for Ancestry.com, because I do some professional research and write family tree books, but there are great free resources I go to also. I only used the free resources and they got me a good start on my tree. 


The first resource I found was Cyndislist.com. There are over 300,000 links listed on this site. Some of the links are free and some require some sort of payment or subscription. The links are marked with dollar signs if they are not free.
Another free resource I found was USGenWeb Archives . All the states are represented in these archives. You can find cemetery info, bibles, and various other records that volunteers have contributed. 
RootsWeb.com opened many doors for me when I started my searching. It offers message boards to leave inquiries. The World Connect Project is a large search engine. There are also Root L mailing lists. You are able to sign up for mail specific to last names, counties, countries, or interests such as Civil War. This tool connected me with distant relatives and people with information to help me on my search. I have found many of the lists I am interested in are not very active but you can check them out. 
The Church of the Latter Day Saints have been documenting family histories for many years. Their free website is https://familysearch.org/. I have been able to verify some of my relatives on this site, but there is human error occasionally so be careful. That is the rule of thumb with all the research sites.
Find a Grave is one of my main go to places. It is divided into two categories, Famous Graves and Non-famous graves. Cemeteries are listed and contributors take photos of the headstones. It is a great way to verify dates of birth and death. As a researcher, you can ask for photos to be taken if there is not one there yet, and you can add names, headstones or information that will help other researchers. Sometimes, there is more than just a headstone photo. I have also found obituaries and history information on this site. 
Google Search has been a good resource. I have found personal websites that have been full of family history, news reports, and obituaries.
Genealogy Gopher has a large library of printed material. I have found family books listing family members on this site.







No comments:

Post a Comment